"Energy saving" is not just a buzzword, it is a way of life for more homeowners who have a sustainable life. It is possible to reduce costs without significantly negatively affecting your lifestyle.
Energy efficiency is defined as using less energy — and therefore paying less money — to achieve the same level of comfort in your home. These days, that means using technology and changing your behavior to use electricity and water more efficiently and, as a result, lowering your monthly utility bills while helping the environment.
▲Sealing and insulation-sealing of doors and windows
Heating and heating costs account for 45% of the average household energy meter. In order to save energy, seal the gaps and cracks near the attic and basement, doors and windows, and ensure that the insulation level of your home meets or reaches local regulations, which can save a portion of energy.
Window sealants and weather strips are the two easiest ways to prevent air from flowing into and out of the home. This prevents higher energy bills in hot and cold weather.
▲Attic insulation-insulation measures
Proper insulation, especially in the attic, is an easy way to reduce the burden on air conditioning in summer. In addition, solar panels covering the sunniest part of the roof can also create shadows, which help keep the home cool and provide similar benefits to insulation.
▲Improve home energy saving-purchase energy-saving electronic equipment
When you purchase household appliances, look for products with low energy efficiency levels, such as refrigerators, air conditioners, washing machines, etc. The lower the energy efficiency level, the lower the energy consumption.
▲Greening plant landscape-saving energy
Plant trees on the south and west sides of your house. It will not only save energy for your home but also beautify the environment. In summer, the leaves will cover your house and reduce the temperature in the room; in winter, the bare branches will let sunlight pass through, adding warmth to the interior.
Solar panels are a great way to reduce energy costs and increase the value of a house. In addition to caring for the environment, solar energy is another way to use technology and protect your finances from rising energy costs in the future.
▲Improve water saving at home
Although the cost of water is lower than the cost of electricity, you still have to pay for each month's use.
The rainwater harvesting system is an economical and simple way to keep your plants and lawn happy year-round, while reducing water bills and saving treated drinking water for household use.
Low flow or double flush toilet
Flushing accounts for about 30% of indoor water consumption, making toilets the largest water user in the home. Improved technology means that the new toilet requires less than 1.3 gallons of water for each flush to provide the same performance, while the old toilet has as much as 6 gallons.
▲Using ceiling fans
Most people don’t understand that ceiling fans are a good way to save electricity throughout the year. They are economical and efficient, and they use exactly the same energy as a 100-watt bulb. In summer, let your fan rotate counterclockwise, and then increase your air conditioner a few degrees, you can save more than 40% of heating costs. In winter, the switching fan blades rotate clockwise, which can save up to 10% of heating costs.
▲Using LED bulbs
LED lamps are more economical and more energy-efficient than compact fluorescent (CFL) bulbs, and they also provide a wider range of options that closely mimic natural light. You can also enjoy lighting features such as timers, ensuring that they only turn on and consume energy when you need them. Remember to recycle your old light bulbs!
If the indoor light is too dark, you can install skylights and try to use daylight. Install skylights in rooms without windows. During the day, you may not have to turn on the lights, which can save a lot of electricity to a certain extent.
▲Sorting of kitchen utensils
With the improvement of living conditions, most households today have dishwashers, and the thermal drying setting is used in the process of using the dishwasher, which is very power-consuming. If you want to save energy and money, So, please reduce the use of the dishwasher, wash it by hand. Please design the tableware racks in a vertical row, so that the tableware can be dried naturally.
▲Lamps-reduce bulb wattage
You may not have to use 100 watt light bulbs in closets or guest rooms. You can reduce the wattage of these lamps and other unusual lamps to 60 watts or even 40 watts to save household energy.
Older water heaters usually require more energy to operate. Consider replacing the water heater with a newer model or insulating it with a heater blanket or wrap.
If you are hosting a party or welcoming overnight guests, consider turning your water heater down by about 10 degrees-this will reduce your energy costs by 3% to 5%.
25 simple energy-saving lifestyle tips
Performing some simple daily actions can reduce energy consumption without sacrificing any huge investment or lifestyle trade-offs:
- Let your tableware air dry instead of using the "dry" setting on the dishwasher.
- Change the air filter regularly so that your electrical system does not have to overwork.
- Clean the lint filter in the dryer after each load.
- Turn off the lights when leaving the room.
- Lower the temperature of the water heater to warm (120 degrees Fahrenheit).
- Open the windows and use ceiling fans to make the room feel cool in summer. Reverse the direction of the blades in winter to make the room feel warmer.
- Only run at full capacity in the laundry (washing and drying) and dishwashers.
- Use cold water for laundry and showering more often or as much as possible.
- Use the smart power strip to avoid charging when the appliance is not in use.
- Don't leave your phone plugged into the power supply overnight; it is bad for the battery and wastes electricity! It saves electricity and is safe to pull out the plug after using up the appliance.
- Use energy-saving air conditioners. The same cooling effect, less power consumption, the beauty of energy-saving air conditioners.
The air conditioner is increased by one degree, which saves electricity by 7%. In summer, the air-conditioning temperature is too low, which not only wastes energy but also weakens the body's ability to automatically adjust body temperature.
- The TV screen is dimmed a bit to save energy and protect the eyes. If the screen is too bright, it will not only shorten the life of the TV but also consume electricity. Adjusting the screen to medium brightness can save power and protect eyesight, especially for children with developing eyes.
- Scientific use of computers
When you don't use the computer temporarily, you can shorten the time setting for the monitor to enter sleep mode; when you don't use the computer, remember to unplug it. By persisting in doing this, we can save at least 1 kilowatt-hour of electricity every day and extend the life of computers and monitors appropriately.
- Energy-saving refrigerators save electricity and money
The heat preservation performance is stronger, so it consumes less electricity, which is the advantage of energy-saving refrigerators.
- Smart use of refrigerators has a strong power-saving effect
Even if ordinary refrigerators are still in use, as long as the following three points are adhered to, each refrigerator can save more than 20 kilowatt-hours of electricity per year:
(1) Defrost in time; (2) Minimize the number of door openings;
(3) Take out the food that needs to be thawed in the freezer in advance and put it in the freezer to thaw, which can also reduce the temperature of the freezer!
- Microwave cooking is energy-saving and convenient. Microwave only heats food containing moisture and fat, and does not heat the air and the container itself, so compared with traditional heating methods, the heat loss is less and the cooking speed is faster. A heating comparison test for the same weight of food shows that the microwave oven is 65% energy-saving than electric furnaces and 40% energy-saving than gas.
- It is a miracle to choose energy-saving washing machines to save water and electricity.
When buying a washing machine, you must recognize the energy efficiency grade label, and choose a high-grade, energy-saving washing machine, which can save at least half of the water and electricity every month. In other words, with the same water and electricity, energy-saving washing machines can wash twice as many clothes.
- Good paperless office effect, energy-saving and environmental protection, double harvest
Use more instant messaging tools such as e-mail and WhatsApp, and fewer use printers and fax machines.
- Energy-saving doors and windows have superheated insulation
About 50% of the energy loss of the entire building is energy loss on doors and windows. Insulating glass not only keeps heat waves and cold waves out but also insulates noise, greatly reducing the energy consumption required for building insulation.
- Household heating, energy-saving, and money-saving
Install a temperature control valve for the heating in the home, and the residents can adjust the temperature by themselves and set the temperature as they like. It can be closed when not at home. This is 15% lower than the traditional central heating cost, and more than 30% lower than the independent heating.
- Solar water heaters save electricity and gas
Each family installs 2 square meters of solar water heaters to meet 70% of the annual domestic hot water needs.
- Small car displacement, high energy-saving effect
Small-displacement vehicles with low prices, low fuel consumption, low pollution, and increasing safety factors are the new fashion. It is also important to mention that in metropolises with tight parking spaces, compact and flexible small cars are even more dominant.
- Travel more by bus to reduce the burden on the earth
The more cars there are, the more congested the road. Taking more buses and subways to travel can not only avoid congestion but also have obvious energy-saving effects.
- Smart driving is more fuel-efficient
(1)Maintain a reasonable speed;
(2)Avoid cold starting;
(3)Reduce idle time;
(4)Try to avoid sudden shifting;
(5) Choose a suitable gear and avoid low gear and high speed;
(6) Use the lubricating oil with the lowest viscosity;
(7) Change the oil regularly;
(8)Do not open the window when driving at high speed;
(9) The tire pressure should be proper.
- Going out, cycling, fitness, environmental protection, kill two birds with one stone
If you have bicycles, you are not afraid of high oil prices. Not only is it free from traffic jams, but it can also exercise, and there is no exhaust pollution.
Considerations for new residential buildings
If you are building a new house or planning a large-scale renovation, incorporating energy efficiency into your design will help achieve greater savings and financial returns:
Cool roofs use reflective materials, such as thermoplastic polyolefin (TPO), which is a single-layer roof that absorbs less sunlight and keeps your home cool in the summer.
The advanced house frame minimizes the use of wood and reduces construction waste.
Passive solar house design considers home, landscape ，and environment. Consider using renewable solar power. Using solar energy will help you gain energy independence and prevent cost fluctuations leading to high electricity bills. Ensuring that your home and appliances operate efficiently will also reduce costs.